Friday, February 8, 2013

Hot Orange Mocha Drink - Weekend Recipe

I was having a disucssion with the Hubby in the car the other day about recipes I had seen on Facebook.  He paused to say Mmmm!  when I mentioned a coffee and chocolate recipe.  I do not drink coffee.  I do not really care for coffee, being a tea (mostly herbal tea) woman so I often forget that he is not just a coffee drinker, but a coffee lover.  I pulled together this recipe for him.  He is watching his sugar so I used sugar substitute in this, but if you want, regular brown sugar works just as well.

Hot Orange Mocha
Steeped orange peel infuses this warm coffee drink-a delightful complement to rich chocolate. A touch of cinnamon pulls it all together.

1   orange
5  cups hot strong coffee
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½  cup packed  brown sugar substitute (like Spenda Easy Pour)

¼  tsp. ground cinnamon
                                                      ½ cup whipping cream, half-and-half, or light cream

Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the orange in strips. In a large saucepan combine the peel and hot coffee. Let stand over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Remove and discard orange peel.  In a small bowl whisk together cocoa powder, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Whisk cocoa into hot coffee until well combined. Stir in cream.  If desired, use an immersion blender to froth the coffee mixture. Ladle into mugs. Top with whipped cream, orange peel, and a pinch of cinnamon. Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...