Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rosh Hashanah Slaw with Pomegranate Seeds


One of my co-workers, the one who arrives at the office most days before me, so we are the only two early birds in the office most days, is out several days this week in celebration of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.  I am not Jewish, but I am fascinated by world religions and he shares little bits of things with me to increase my understanding which I appreciate. 

In my internet wanderings I discovered that Pomegranates are often a feature of this celebration because the pomegranate is said to contain 613 seeds, one for each of the 613 mitzvot (God's commandments). Eating pomegranates during Rosh Hashanah also symbolizes the hope that observances of the commandments and good deeds in the coming year may be as many as the seeds of the fruit.

So Steve, in honor of good wishes for the New Year.  Here is a recipe I found to enjoy Pomegranate seeds!


Lime Mint Slaw

2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
½ tsp. sugar
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup olive oil
1 pound package of shredded cabbage and carrot slaw (or grate your own if you have time and materials it is about 4 to 5 cups)
1 Tbls. fresh dill, chopped
2 Tbls. fresh mint, chopped
2 Tbls. cilantro, chopped
2 Tbls. pomegranate seeds
2 Tbls. currents or cranberries

Make the dressing with cloves, salt, pepper, sugar, lime juice.  Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and slowly whisk in the olive oil until blended.  Taste and adjust to your liking.  Place the coleslaw in a large serving bowl and sprinkle with herbs.  Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.  Garnish with the pomegranate and currents for seasonal color and serve immediately.  You can make the dressing ahead and chill, then toss together the slaw just before you sit down to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...