Friday, July 27, 2012

Weekend Recipe - Lemon Tarragon Pork Chops

Tarragon is an herb that I do not use nearly as much as I should.  The plant is a perennial and only really takes off in the second year.  The first year it is small cute and feel you should not harvest any incase it dies, but it is very hardy, even in cooler areas.  The flavor is anise-like and adds a sweetness to dishes, sauces and dips that is unique and refreshing.  I experimented with it in my new Chervil Green Dressing.

Recently I discovered a grilling recipe from the National Park Board that used Tarragon combined with lemon that I just had to share.  It is a simple rub that makes an easy grilled dish you can put together in a hurry. I always use granulated onion rather than onion powder in my rubs as it keeps from clumping and makes a nice texture on the surface of meats.  Here is my adaptation:

Lemon-Tarragon Pork Chops

4 pork chops, bone in
4 tsp. olive oil

Rub:
1 tsp. dried tarragon, crushed
1 ½ tsp. lemon zest (about 1 medium lemon)
1 ½ tsp. minced fresh garlic blended with a bit of savory
1 ½ tsp. granulated onion
¼ tsp kosher or sea salt

Preheat a grill to medium (or prepare charcoal.)  Place pork chops on a platter and brush with olive oil and set aside.  Mix seasonings together and rub about 1 ½ tsp. of mixture over each chop.  Please chops on preheated grill, close the lid and cook 4 to 6 minutes per side (depending on thickness.)  Be sure the internal temp of the chops reaches 160 degrees F. 

Serve with lemon slices for garnish and a side of green beans.  Check out this recipe from earlier this month:  Dilled Mustard Green Beans 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...