Monday, February 7, 2011

Holy Cow it snowed on Groundhog DAY!

Holy Cow we had a lot of snow!  I grew up in the snowbelt and am not afraid of a blizzard, but the snow that fell in Chicago last week left me speechless, and powerless.

We lost power for a significant length of time during the storm which started on Tuesday afternoon and snowed continuously until about 3 AM Wednesday, dropping between 20 and 22 inches.  The enitre area was closed on Wednesday -- UPS and the USPS did not deliver that day and USPS did not resume delivery until Friday.  I live in an apartment, but the snow piled up on my car so deeply that you could not see it. 

Here are some photos so you can get the impact of it.


This is a view out one set of windows into the courtyard


Another courtyard, if you look between the pines you will see a mound of white, that's my car!


You can see the drift to the right (above) and in the picture to the left someone has dug out their patio so you can see how much snow there is piled up!




This is the sidewalk out front, those posts are 36 to 42 inches tall and only the top 4 inches are uncovered.
 I love snow and I did not have to drive in this so I feel very lucky.  I had to teach on Thursday at 7:30 AM, but it only took us just over an hour to get there (normal 25 minutes) so we thought that was rather good.  My husband stayed away from his office until Friday.

Here is a close up of the car, you cannot even tell it is dark green!
Sometime soon I will venture over to the gardens and see if I can get a picture of them under a blanket of snow.  We are going to have a deep cold spell for the rest of the week, so I am glad the herbs are buried under all that snow protection!

Happy Winter (no shadow though!!)


Marcy Lautanen-Raleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...